Coach Wayne’s “Must Have” list for P90X
If I had to go back in time and repeat my first round of P90X, knowing what I know now, there is a short list of items I feel I couldn’t do without. Every one of these items, in my opinion, were critical to maximizing my results with the P90X program. I used each of them several times per week, if not every day. I hope this list helps you weed through all of the available equipment and supplements to determine what best meets your needs … and your budget! (Please don’t feel like I’m giving you a sale pitch. These are all items I feel really work and are worth the $$ to me, but my budget may be different than yours)
1) Pullup Bar with multiple hand positions = The workouts involve a variety of pullups, and having a good, seven position pullup bar will help you maximize this portion of your workout. Plus, you’ll be using it a lot so you’ll want a sturdy one that will last. I bought mine from Beachbody due to its stronger materials and durability, although it was a little more expensive than the knockoff brands (I paid $59). I’m glad I did, because it holds up to my abuse just fine (even when I was 255 lbs). Learn more about the P90X Pullup bar HERE.
2) Adjustable Dumbbells = I know the exercises can be done with bands, but free weights will definitely maximize your results. In my first 2 rounds, I used LifeSmart adjustable dumbbells, which are cheaper than the Bowflex model ($200 for the pair), and they worked great. They adjust from 5-55 lbs, and are very durable. I found mine at Academy Sports. I finally splurged on the nicer Bowflex 552′s after a couple rounds, and they are a bit more ($260 on sale) but also nicer to use. I haven’t used the Powerblocks, but they are also good. Look around, even on Craigs LIst, and you may find a deal.
3) PowerStands = These are more expensive ($39) than the cheap plastic pushup bars you get at the store, but they are solid, very stable, and very durable. They won’t tip over shake when you are pushing hard for those last reps. They also put your wrists in the correct positon to prevent joint problems. I love my PowerStands. They take my pushups to the next level, and they will last forever! Learn more about PowerStands HERE.
4) Yoga Mat = Get one of these for Ab Ripper X. If you try to do a bunch of situps with your tailbone directly on the floor, you’ll regret it! I picked mine up at Target.
6) Whey Protein Powder = You will need to consume a lot of protein to fuel your muscles. A good quality protein powder is critical to giving you what your body needs, unless you like eating 20 cans of tuna per day! Haha. Beachbody sells Whey protein powder, but I primarily use Wheybolic Extreme 60 or Dymatize Iso-100 because it is a little more affordable. Read more about protein HERE.
7) My Fitness Pal (or another similar calorie tracking system) = I love My Fitness Pal. It’s a free iPhone app that tells me exactly where I’m at on my nutrition. Following the nutrition guide is critical to getting great results, and tracking your calories, protein, carbs, and fat will help you do that. In a study, people who “tried to eat healthy” actually consumed 50% more calories than people who actually tracked their calories. Put in the effort to do this!!! Please!! Learn more about MFP HERE.
8) Workout Sheets = These are easy and free, but you’ve got to keep track of your weight and reps on everything. How else will you monitor your progress and know how to push yourself to the max? Get downloadable worksheets HERE.
9) Creatine = This supplement helps volumize the muscles with water so that they can draw more nutrients in to aid with recovery and muscle building. I get mine from GNC or Bodybuilding.com. It is important to cycle creatine, 2 months on and 1 month off if you use monohydrate. Kre-Alkalyn doesn’t have to by cycled. If you are unsure about using creatine, google it and read multiple reviews. Learn more about creatine HERE.
hi again coach. so one iv figured out what im ment to eat and at what times and the rest of it which is hard for me to understand. i cant find the p90x nutrition guid u said? what would u sergest i should set my calorie count to u said urs was 1900. but with me been 5'4 and about 12 stone give or take either side should i set mine lower than that?
Hey Derrick, the P90X nutrition guide is what comes with the P90X DVD's. All my articles are in the "nutrition all in one" = http://teamripped.com/my-nutritionsupplements/nutrition-all-in-one (the one I said was "The P90X Nutrition guide" is called just "nutrition guide")
hi coach, im about 5'2 and i would say about 12 stone. im really interested in doin the p90x but im unsure what i need to do it and were to start. im really wanting to lose the weight then build muscle. my biggest test is the eating because im really bad with fruit although im great with veg this will be my hardest task as im sure it is with most people goin to do this program. i work shifts so im home from 3.30 pm one week and at work starting 12 noon the other week so i will have to juggle the workouts is this ok?
Hey Derrick, getting started right is the key. Look over the nutrition and diet tips here in the getting started section = http://teamripped.com/coach-ws-tips/getting-started
Coach, I noticed that you use the lifesmart dumbbells. How do you like those and are they durable? They seem to be a cheaper choice to some of the other weights I have seen. I have always been a dumbbell guy but right now I am using the Bodylastics(I love them) which are awesome for some of the workouts but for the shoulders and arms are pretty annoying. Plus, I always used bands for certain exercises. I just don't think they are good for the specific exercises on the Shoulder and Arms DVD. I was thinking of getting power blocks but then I came across this brand and seems to offer good value. How would you rate them now that you had them for a while?
Hey coach, Is it true that creatine is only good for men? What pre work out supplement u suggest for female..The only time I can work out out is after work..(.4 pm to 6 pm)
Hey Grace, creatine works the exact same for a lady as it does for a man. With that said, if I were a lady I wouldn't supplement additional creatine (because if I were a lady I would be more interested in toning muscle rather than building mass). However, the amount of creatine in PWO supplements and recovery drinks isn't enough to worry about from a supplement perspective, so I would say that you can use any PWO you'd like. The new E&E from Beachbody is a good, safe one that has no creatine in it. There is the super-potent 1MR. And there are many others you can try as well.
Coach im a little skinny i live in mexico and no! i am not using google translator! here in mexico they dont sell the shakeology neither p90x but i just purchased from ebay and now i have it but i have a question...i need the protein,the creatine,and the pre? because i have 16 y.o. and i dont know if thats going to affect my growth or something, i really want to be fit so ill buy anything! oh yeah! i was forgetting this.. i love boxing and i practice this every day, after my boxing training i get to my home and start p90x so i dont know if thats going to affect me somehow in my building muscle process, just for the record boxing its alot of CARDIO! but ALOT!, i let my body rest like 1 hr after my boxing training and then the p90x, my boxing training its like 2hrs
Hey Rene! Good English! You are getting a lot of exercise with the boxing and P90X! Cool! Since you already have some Shakeology, my recommendation would be to next get some whey protein and some creatine. That's all you should need, and you can probably find both of those locally and save yourself some $$.
Oh I see I'm just confused because I haven't taken any supplements at all so I kind of need some advice because I work out early in the morning and I want to have lots of energy before my P90X workout.
Hey Coach, Can I use Jack3D when I'm just on a maintenance phase? Or should I use that if I'm trying to bulk up?
Hey coach i am starting P90x i am 15 can you tell me if these are good equipment to start off with.. 1. Pull-up bar with multiple positions 2. Powerblocks Adjustable Dumbbells 3. Yoga blocks/Mat 4. Push up bars If my doctor approves do you think shakeology and whey would be worth to get ??
Hey Coach, I decided to go with the Kre-Alkalyn for the creatine. The bottle says to take one in the morning and one before the workout (total of 2 servings daily)... what if morning and workout are at the same time (4:30 am)? I have been taking one in the morning and then one after I get home from work (4:30 pm). Does that sound alright or should I take the second one some other time?
Hey Wayne. I was just wondering how much differently to you supplement on recovery weeks if you do at all?? Do you still take the whey protein in the morning even before x stretch and yoga?
That does help! Thanks. I am at a school and luckly (for me...) another teacher is not currently using P90X+, so I am in round 2 and the cardio days are plyo, interval plus, and then cardio/kenpo plus. I am hitting all the classic resistance days though. I also settled on the MIR vest and am looking forward to getting that soon. I also noticed that GNC has 3 jack3d containers (variety pack) for around 70, so I might try that when I am done with assault.
Hey Coach, I have tried to read through much of the responses and get a feel for an answer to my question... and I am almost there. So far I have just been taking whey and casein protein as far as supplements on a daily basis and NO loaded (GNC) on resistence. I have been thinking of adding creatine to the mix for the upcoming months. I just got a trial version of Assault (Muscle Pharm) and really enjoyed it. I noticed there is creatine in it, but an earlier post said that you should still take additional creatine. I have been looking into either Kre-Alkalyn or GNC Creatine 189 (both capsules) and was wondering what you recommend (or something different)? So in total I would be taking Protein (GNC - Amp 60 and ON - casein), Assault (pre-workout both resistance and cardio days), and then creatine (after each workout). Lastly, should I take any creatine on rest days? Thanks for your time.
Hey Travis! Of all creatine supplements, I like kre-alkalyn the best (for all the reasons I mention in my "creatine revisited" article). If you are going to supplement creatine, you should take it every day. You only need the PWO (preworkout supplement) on lift days and hard cardio days). Hope that helps!
Another thing, I'm also trying the Jackd3d, and I've just taking it on my lift days...But I'm not feeling any noticeable change as to getting "pumped up" for or during the workout. I got up to I believe two scoops which I took about 45mins before the workout, and I may have felt slightly more energetic, but nothing that really made feel "WOW"...is something wrong or does it affect people in different ways? I remember in the past, I tried something called Superpump by Gaspari Nutrition, and I remember with that, I definitely felt a huge difference about an hour after I consumed it. I thought I was going to have a similiar experience like that with the jackd3d... What do you thing or suggest?
oh ok. I'll check out what my whey protein contents are again. I would also like to say that for providing the information on the adjustable dumbbells by lifesmart. I've been interested in getting a pair for so long but seen how expensive they were. Then I saw the ones you mentioned and thought it was a good deal. I also got them from Academy sports from they're website and they shipped them to me free of charge(they waived shipping charges for some reason) and I'm all the way in the west coast. I thought that was great but now that I have the appropriate sizes of dumbbells my workouts are so much better. And I'll be looking into the glutamine. Thanks again
I was wondering exactly what kind of glutamine from GNC are you using? I'm looking into getting some and noticed that theres powder form or pill form. Which kind do you get and/or which is better. I mean I'm sure they both do the same but was just wondering. Also I've seen BCCA w/ glutamine and L-glutamine. What are those? Thanks
Hey Daniel, when I was supplementing glutamine, I was using plain L-glutamine powder. Looking back, it was probably overkill because the whey protein I was using (Wheybolic 60 from GNC) also had plenty of glutamine in it as well (so I stopped supplementing it separately). You only need about 10g of glutamine per day total (so check how much you are getting from whey or any BCAA's and you may not need to buy glutamine.
Hello coach, I'm alfa from Indonesia, I've just start to buy P90X, but, I only can buy all P90X dvd, Pullup Bar with multiple hand positions, Adjustable Dumbbells, powerstands, and yoga mat. I've whey protein from Optimum Nutrition, that's all I have. Because that's all I can provide to do P90X. What do think? What I suppose to do next? I'm a student under graduate what's your suggestion? I've share P90X and also about you to my collage many of them was interested and want to join it. Thank you before and after God bless.
HI. ive got a pullup bar problem, unlike big jerome its the thickness of the walls (there about a foot thick) i can put the straight bar with no handles that you jam between the uprights, that limits the range of movements cant use a wall mounted version its not my house, any surgestions on alternative equipment/exercises
I'm using N.O. explode by GNC. I like the taste but I can't use a full scoop as it makes me extremely nauseous, but the stamina during the workout is great!
also, would you mind linking me to the one you found? tried going on the rogue fitness page but i saw a lot and got confused
Right! Thats exactly it, it opens into the room instead of out of the room. Not too big a deal, except we have super small hallways and Id be in everyones way in the morning, strugglging to do them pull ups! haha! BAH!! I wanted to start today, argh! Guess I gotta return my beachbody one and order that wall mounted one
Gotcha, something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Body-Press-Wall-Mounted/dp/B003TYJMV2/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1315266828&sr=1-7 The only way I can fit the p90x one in mydoor is to pretty much have it backwards, so id pretty much be in the way of anyone walkingthru or hallway